In 1858 Richard was chosen to travel to the Kansas Territory. He Came to Kansas with a Methodist Delegation for the selections of lands for a Methodist University by the name of Baker University located in Baldwin, Douglas County Kansas. The town company purchased a section of land adjoining Palmyra on the north and donated it to the Kansas Educational Association of the Methodist Episcopal Church on the condition that they locate a college known as Baker University site. The section of land was surveyed into lots and sold, the proceeds being used to erect the college building. As the work on the university building progressed, a number of houses were erected in the area, which soon became known as Baldwin, in honor of John Baldwin of Berea, Ohio, who was the primary benefactor of the college.
The first and oldest college building and the oldest university, Baker University in Baldwin City, Kansas. This three Story stone structure was actually built just off the planned campus because it was to hold college activities for a short time while the remainder of the planned campus was developed.
That same year, the Methodist Church built a chapel that was used by the congregation. Baker University is the oldest four-year college in the state of Kansas and four of its buildings are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Baker University is a private institution of higher education that was founded in 1858 as the first senior college in the U.S. state of Kansas. Affiliated with the United Methodist church, the university is named for Bishop Osmon Cleander Baker. The university’s main campus is in Baldwin City, about 35 miles (55 kilometers) southwest of Kansas City. Graduate courses are conducted. Baker University was chartered on February 12, 1858.
Business buildings were also erected and one by one the business enterprises of Palmyra moved to Baldwin.
John Baldwin erected a saw and grist mill at the present-day site of Fifth and Indiana Streets, and inaugurated other commercial enterprises, which proved the death blows to the old town of Palmyra, which later was abandoned. The post office was moved and the name officially changed from Palmyra to Baldwin City on May 22, 1862.
As the Conference moved forward and did more and more reorganizing Richard was given another circuit to work in called ‘Old Clarksville Circuit’ this is where Richard received his first church erected in 1858.
It was a frame structure 30×40 feet in diameter and stood on Mercer Avenue. Prior to the church being erected the society worshiped in the school house.
Then it was off to Jamestown District at Wattsburg Borough, Erie County, Pennsylvania in 1859.